Hiking the Fish River Canyon in Namibia is a challenging yet rewarding experience. The second-largest canyon in the world offers stunning views, unique flora and fauna, and an opportunity to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of modern life. Gondwana Collection Namibia offers luggage free Hiking Trails through the Canyon.
Here are my top 5 travel tips when hiking the Fish River Canyon:
- Pack appropriately: Hiking the Fish River Canyon isn't the easiest activity, and it's important to pack the right gear to ensure your safety and comfort. Bring sturdy walked in hiking shoes, a hat, sunscreen, a first aid kit, plenty of water, and enough food for the duration of your hike. It's also important to pack light to reduce the weight on your back.
- Know your fitness level: It's important to be honest with yourself about your fitness level. Even though it isn't 85km of hiking, you still walk between 3-10 hours daily. Before embarking on this journey, make sure you are physically and mentally prepared.
- Respect the environment: The Fish River Canyon is a delicate ecosystem, and it's important to respect the environment. Stay on designated trails, don't disturb the flora and fauna, and take your trash with you. It's important to leave the environment as you found it so that future generations can also enjoy it.
- Be prepared for the weather: The Fish River Canyon is located in a desert, and the weather can be extreme. Temperatures can reach over 40°C during the day and drop below freezing at night.
- Take in the views: The Fish River Canyon offers some of the most stunning views in the world. Take the time to enjoy the scenery, watch the sunrise and sunset, and stargaze at night. The experience of being in nature and disconnecting from the world is what makes hiking the Fish River Canyon such an unforgettable experience.
Hiking the Fish River Canyon is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that requires preparation and respect for the environment. By following these top 5 travel tips, you'll be able to make the most of your journey and create memories that will last a lifetime.
What are your top hiking tips?
Author & Photos: Geena Visagie